In 1842 Thomas Jones revives the three schools founded by Alexander B. Lish, and introduced the Roman scripts A B K... used as the Khasi alphabets. Rev Thomas Jones has been regarded till today as the father of the Khasi Alphabets. In 1851 Rev William Lewis opened another school at Shella and Ka Nabon Sawian the first Christian of the females was appointed a teacher of the school. So Nabon Sawian became the first teacher in Khasi and Jaintia Hills.
Based on the simple account of Rev. William Lewis, of his efforts to spread education among the Khasis; on the advice of Lord Dalhousie the Governor General of India; the then government of Bengal offered the mission in 1854 a monthly grant of Rs 50 (fifty).This was the first grant-in-aid made by the Government towards education through the agency of religious organization. In 1861 the grant was enhanced from Rs 50 to Rs 150/- pm, a few months later after the visit of the Governor and expresses a great satisfaction with the work of the Mission and hence the grant was further increase to Rs 500/- monthly.
In the year 1864 , recommendation was made by the Lieutenant-Governor that the school at Nongsawlia be converted into Normal School under the charge of a missionary Rev. Thomas Jones II for training of native Teachers with a promise of the financial aid by the Government Rev Thomas Jones worked strenuously to supply the great need. At that time Thomas Jones II had 150 boys from five different Villages attended the Nongsawlia School. The first six months of the year, the boys spent in their School and for the remaining six months they were sent to teach in their villages. In this way work spread in all directions to Mawnai in Khatsawphra, to Mustoh, Nongbah, Shangpung, and Nongtalang in Jaintia Hills and to Nongstoin in the west.
During the early parts of the year 1867 Rev Hugh Robert was appointed to incharge the Normal School as the Headmaster and two masters to assist him. The salary of the two assisted master was paid by the government. The trainees were paid a stipend of Rs 4 pm/- each. The course was four years. The Normal School for the girls was opened a few months later and was placed under the charge of Mrs. Roberts.
The Welsh Mission which running not less than 300 L.P. School in the District Khasi-Jaintia Hills saw the need to revive the Normal Training School at Nongsawlia. In the year 1938, the Normal School was again started at Nongsawlia and attached to the Cherra Theological College established (established 1887); and the Principal of the Cherra Theological College was in charged of the Normal School also.